This course will introduce you to modern operating systems. We will focus on UNIX-based operating systems, though we will also learn about alternative operating systems, including Windows. The course will begin with an overview of the structure of modern operating systems. Over the course of the subsequent units, we will discuss the history of modern computers, analyze in detail each of the major components of an operating system (from processes to threads), and explore more advanced topics in the field, including memory management and file input/output. The class will conclude with a discussion of various system-related security issues.
Step-by-Step Guide to Begin Credential
- Explore the CS401 course information
- Then log in or sign up for a Saylor.org account by linking your existing Google or Facebook accounts, or creating a standalone account
- You’ll then need to verify your account credentials via email and complete the user account profile to continue
- Navigate to the “Courses” tab at the top left of the page
- Then, either scroll to Computer Science or search for CS401
- Then select the course and enroll, free of charge