CompTIA Security+ is a global certification that validates the baseline skills necessary to perform core security functions and pursue an IT security career. CompTIA is trusted by employers around the globe. The Security+ certification establishes the core knowledge required of any cybersecurity role and provides a springboard to intermediate-level cybersecurity jobs.
Security+ incorporates best practices in hands-on troubleshooting, ensuring candidates have practical security problem-solving skills in the areas of:
- Attacks, threats, and vulnerabilities
- Architecture and design
- Operations and incident response
- Governance, risk, and compliance
Security+ is compliant with ISO 17024 standards and approved by the US DoD to meet directive 8140/8570.01-M requirements.
Who should complete this credential?
This credential and the associated coursework are ideal for individuals looking to advance their IT networking security career.
The CompTIA Security+ credential validates your understanding of core network security concepts, how to respond to a security incident, and how to ensure proper policies and infrastructure are in place to avoid a security event. This credential covers all the basics in each of these areas and provides you with an unmatched breadth of skills in a vendor-neutral format.
This credential is ideal for individuals who would like to advance their existing IT career or build their understanding of IT security. Jobs that use CompTIA Security+ include security administrators, systems administrators, security engineers or analysts, IT project managers, IT auditors, network or cloud engineers, and software developers.
Step-by-Step Guide to Begin Credential
Once you’ve reviewed the exam prep and you’re ready to take the course, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to the CompTIA Certification Hub
- Before proceeding to check out or scheduling an exam, reach out to NCBCE to see if you qualify to take the exam for free or speak to a representative from your school to see if this course is offered at no-cost
- Once you understand if you qualify, you can complete the exam via PearsonVue online and follow the step-by-step instructions to create an account, select your online exam, and earn your credential
Note: This course aligns with North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI) Career and Technical Education (CTE) high school course(s): Network Security II.
Contact our NCBCE staff to see if you qualify for a free course.